Saturday, December 27, 2014

~A Vintage Noel~

The 'Vintage/Rustic look' seems to be the 'in-thing' this year. I'd say I was just following the trend, but the truth is the whole look/feel is a choice I made for the new decor in my own living room. When it came to choosing a table set to go with my new sofa and chair, I went with what I liked, what felt warm and natural, what made me feel happy.

For my project this month I knew I wanted to make a Christmas banner, and it was easy once I decided to use the canvas banner pieces that came in my Zeus and Zoe   Design Team Package as a base.

I coffee-dyed some curtaining fabric and doilies, then covered the banners with the curtaining lace fabric to give the piece added texture and dimension. I cut a large doily in wedges to use as the last layer of the fringed edge of the banner topped with four different vintage laces, including a lovely traditional tatted trim edged in a nice festive green color.



 A smaller doily added to the centers of the banner pieces then topped with red glittered chipboard letters spelling "Noel" that I altered with some Donna Salazar Pralines and Cream fine glitter and some Lindy's Stamp Gang Steampunk Sepia Starburst Spray to give it a darker, more vintage look.


I alternated little white felt snowflakes and green holly leaves on the tops and bottoms of the banner for an added embellishment as well as tiny ribbon carnation flowers added to each top corner that I sprayed with some Lindy's Café au Lait Flat Fabio Spray and dabbed with some Tim Holtz Tea Dye Distress Ink to get them close to the Fig Brown color of the seam binding used to string the banner pieces together.


I absolutely LOVE the striking effect this beautiful banner has against the dark red color of my living room walls, it was the perfect touch to my decor and will become a lovely vintage piece that can be cherished for generations to come.

I hope you enjoy my project and I'd like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year filled with health and happiness!







No comments: